UPDATED: October 24, 2008 - This challenge is COMPLETE! Yay! Thank you Vasilly for hosting … I read some fantastic books. My favorite of the challenge was Elizabeth McCracken’s memoir: An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination - stunning and emotional with amazing writing. I’ll have to read one of her novels now!
I have a number of books that fit the criteria for this challenge. Some of them were on my alternates list for the Non Fiction Five Challenge - but I didn’t get to them, so I’ve moved them to this challenge instead! I am committing to at least FOUR books from this list:
1. Tender at the Bone, by Ruth Rechl
2. The Zookeeper’s Wife, by Diane Ackerman (COMPLETED May 12, 2008; rated 4/5; read my review)
3. Reading Lolita in Tehran, by Azar Nafisi
4. Laughing Without An Accent, by Firoozeh Dumas (COMPLETED May 18, 2008; rated 4/5; read my review)
5. A Thousand Days in Tuscany, by Marlena de Blasi
6. Angela’s Ashes, by Frank McCourt
7. Steinbeck: A Life in Letters, by John Steinbeck (edited by Elaine Steinbeck and Robert Wallsten)
8. Have You Found Her: A Memoir, by Janice Erlbaum (COMPLETED January 14, 2008; rated 4/5; read my review)
9. An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination, by Elizabeth McCracken (COMPLETED October 24, 2008; rated 5/5; read my review)
I've been putting off reading Angela's Ashes because I knew it was a sad book, but maybe this challenge will be just the thing to get me to read it. I like your list. Several titles that intrigue me.
Wendy, I picked up Tender at the Bone years ago at a booksale. I just realized as I was unpacking that it was a memoir, so it will be on my list too! Looking forward to comparing notes on this book that I haven't heard ANYTHING about...
Booklogged and Trish - I'm happy to see we will be reading a couple of the same books! I love reading reviews of books I've just read - it will be fun to compare our thoughts (as you said, Trish!)
Post a Comment