Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Eva's List (and a few recommendations)

First off, I just reviewed three books that fall into the memoir category, so if anyone is looking for ideas, here are Sketches From a Life, Emergency Sex and Other Desperate Measures, and Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. They're all more essay collections than chapter-books, if you know what I mean, and I'd highly, highly recommend the Sketches From a Life by George Kennan.

Now for my list (cross-posted on my blog)! It's actually a pool, since I'm not sure how many I'll get to.
Black Elk Speaks by Black Elk with the aid of John Neihardt (a Native American memoir)
The Spy Wore Red by Aline Romanos (an international memoir of WWII intrigue by a duchess)
Jane Austen: Her Life and Letters by William and Arthur Austen-Leigh (biography)
Simone de Beauvoir by Deirdre Bair (biography)
Che Guevara by Jon Lee Anderson (biography)
Joan of Arc by Prenoud and Clin (a French biography)
Wild Swans by Jung Chang (a combination of biography/autobiography set in China)
Unbowed by Wangari Maathai (a memoir by the famous Kenyan activist)
Confessions of an Economic Hitman John Perkins (a memoir of an American who worked for the World Bank/IMF)

No comments: