Thursday, February 7, 2008

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings

Originally published in 1969; 281 pages.


I was mesmerized by Maya Angelou's lyrical presentation of the high and low points of the first eighteen years of her life. Poignant and meaningful, each chapter recounts part of the life experiences that made Angelou the adult she became. These experiences include being raped at age eight by her mother's boyfriend, learning to love books through the encouragement of an adult friend, being subjected to numerous acts of racism, and working as the first black female streetcar conductor in San Francisco.

My full review can be found on my book blog.

This is my first book for this challenge.

1 comment:

tennischick said...

gosh, it's been years since i read this book. i have this memory of her walking thru tall grass trying to escape. lyrical and brutal at the same time, yes.

thanks for the reminder -- must re-read it again.